Manchester City loanee Angus Gunn is following in the footsteps of dad Bryan

Football news - transfers, fixtures, scores, pictures | The Sun
Manchester City loanee Angus Gunn is following in the footsteps of dad Bryan

ANGUS GUNN is the rising star who is following in the goalkeeping footsteps of dad Bryan.

Gunn senior spent 12 years as  Norwich’s No 1, helping them to third in the inaugural Premier League in 1992-93.

Bryan Gunn has watched son Angus follow in his footsepsDave Pinegar - The Sun

Angus is having his first taste of senior football at Carrow Road, having been loaned out by Manchester City.

CHARLIE WYETT talks to the pair.

CHARLIE: There have been a few top-class father and son goalkeepers. Peter and  Kasper Schmeichel, Fabio and Carlo  Cudicini and Miguel and Jose Reina. At what point did you think this was possible?

BRYAN: I thought Angus was going to be the next Patrick Vieira — I didn’t think he would be a goalkeeper.

Angus Gunn is gaining valuable experience at NorwichDave Pinegar - The Sun Bryan Gunn shows Angus how its doneDave Pinegar - The Sun

In 2004, he was eight. He played for a team near Norwich called Loddon Grasshoppers. Angus was taller than his peers and would run the midfield, shoot and score.

He then went to some Bryan Gunn  goalkeeping days and got the ‘Top Gunn’ award from the coaches.

YOBS JAILED Two England fans jailed for football riots in Amsterdam before friendly with Holland

I said ‘you cannot give it to him, it will not look good’. Anyway I was outvoted and Angus won.

He still went to Norwich’s academy as an outfield player but they thought he was too tall and slow and asked could he try being a keeper.

ANGUS: Growing up, I don’t remember much about dad being a keeper.

I remember him in the backroom staff at Norwich under Peter Grant.

As for playing, it took me a while to enjoy playing in goal. Dad was never  critical. He didn’t give me much advice. He left it to the coaches at Norwich.

I started supporting Chelsea. Frank Lampard, along with David Beckham, was my favourite player. With the  goalkeepers, it was Robert Green as I watched him at Norwich.

BRYAN GUNN

AGE: 54

HEIGHT: 6ft 3in

BORN: Thurso, Scotland.

CLUB CAREER: Six years at Aberdeen under Alex Ferguson. Joined Norwich in 1986 and played 477 times before signing for Hibs in 1998.

INTERNATIONAL: Six senior Scottish caps.

AFTER PLAYING: Many roles at Norwich including in sponsorship,  recruit- ment and manager in 2009. Now director of talent recruitment for Triple S Sports & Entertainment.

CHARLIE: You are too young to  remember your dad playing but have you seen any videos?

ANGUS: Yes, I have seen one in particular, called Top Gunn.

BRYAN: It was my testimonial video. Lots of good saves there. I made it myself — and I forced him to watch it every night.

ANGUS: His best saves were there,  including his ones against Bayern Munich in the Uefa Cup. And his miskick which gave Ipswich a goal at Portman Road.

That’s the most memorable moment I’ve seen of you, dad! But, seriously, I am proud of him and his career here made it easier for me to come back on loan.

Last season at Manchester City was  frustrating as I did not play much. I was travelling with the first-team  and played a maximum of ten games for the under-23s.

At the end of last season, I had a chat with my family and agent and  decided it was best to go on loan.

I spoke to Pep Guardiola and he agreed. I was happy to go somewhere. Norwich was the stand-out club.

CHARLIE: When did you start playing for England? How did you feel as your dad  is Scottish?

ANGUS: I was picked by England’s under-16s when I was 14 and then played in the Victory Shield, although I was a year below. I always  considered England. I never really got asked by Scotland anyway.

BRYAN: You were once.

ANGUS: Was I?

ANGUS GUNN

AGE: 22

HEIGHT: 6ft 5in

BORN: Norwich

CLUB CAREER: Started at Norwich academy, joining Manchester City in 2011 aged 15 for £250,000  compensation. Returned to the Canaries on loan this season. Has played 45  times with 16 clean sheets.

INTERNATIONAL: Played for England at Under-16, U17, U19 and U20 level. Eleven games for the Under-21s and made the senior squad against  Brazil in November.

BRYAN: Outside Anfield. It was October 2011 when Norwich played there.

We met Mick Oliver who was scouting for Scotland. He said ‘Angus, you have to be Scottish’. You said ‘nice to meet you’ and did not really understand.

Mick worked for Craig Levein. When Angus was 12, his grandad came down, watched him and said ‘if you get a chance to play for England or Scotland, pick England. You will make more money!’.  That is a true Scotsman!

CHARLIE: You left Norwich to join  Manchester City. Was it difficult at first?

ANGUS: I knew a few of the  lads from my England age group at Manchester City.

There was quite a lot of pressure. They put me in the under-18s training camp and it was tough physically.

It was also a wake-up call technically as well, but I settled down. In my second season, I went to the senior ground and trained with Joe Hart, Costel Pantilimon and Richard Wright.

SunSports Charlie Wyett chatted to the father-son duo

CHARLIE: Angus, what does the future hold? Will you go back to City as number two, go on loan to a Premier League side or return to Norwich?

ANGUS: I have enjoyed this season but would obviously have preferred to be higher in the league. We had ambitions to go further but it has not happened.

I will think about it long and hard and we will make the best decision for myself. I will always be thankful to everyone at Norwich for giving me this chance.

BRYAN: Hopefully, Angus can have a few more good games before the end of the season. Aston Villa is next on Saturday.

Also, I have a game in goal on May 20 when a Norwich Legends team face an Inter Milan side at Carrow Road to mark 25 years of the Uefa Cup match between the two.

I have been in training for it. Stop  looking at my belly Charlie — a lot can happen in six weeks!

ANGUS: I don’t think you’ll be on the pitch for very long to be honest!

CHARLIE: How did you both feel when you got the England senior call-up from  Gareth Southgate in November?

Angus Gunn has chosen to represent England instead of ScotlandPA:Empics Sport Former Scotland international Bryan Gunn now has to contend with wanting England to win matchesPA:Empics Sport

ANGUS: It was strange as I had played in an Under-21s game in Ukraine. I was  sitting in my hotel room watching Sky Sports News and it came up.

BRYAN: England played Germany and  Gareth confirmed the news after.

It was fantastic. I was really, really proud. Don’t forget his mum Susan is English. She is 100 per cent a supporter of Norwich and England.

People ask me who is the best keeper in the family. I say I am the best Scottish one and he is the best English one.

CHARLIE: What are your international hopes with England?

ANGUS: Joe Hart, Jack Butland and Jordan Pickford are all good keepers.

England fans have nothing to worry about. Maybe in 2020, I will be in and around the squad. It all depends.

We have the under-21s Euros next year. Hopefully, we will qualify.

BRYAN: I never thought I would be in a position to want England to win a game.

ANGUS: What if it is England v Scotland?

BRYAN: 0-0.

Comments